Join the Team/Job Postings
Sony Pictures Imageworks is expanding! We are experiencing rapid growth in our Vancouver office. At Imageworks we create groundbreaking visual effects and animation for motion pictures. We are looking for a dynamic and energetic software engineer to join the team at Imageworks Canada.
What You’ll Be Doing:
You will be integrating best practices for energy conserving shaders with the needs of productions. Working closely with show leads, you will guide and implement tools in our raytraced environment. You’ll also be in close concert with our Katana lighting team and Arnold rendering team to advance the state of the art.
You’ll be working in conjunction with top-notch artists in the industry, helping them push the boundaries for lookdev and lighting. Each new film provides great challenge and opportunity to advance the state of the art in shading/rendering. Your contribution will have a visual manifestation on screen, to be seen by scores of movie-goers.
You will enjoy an ever changing problem set that will keep you alert to new solutions. Learn in a dynamic environment alongside core developers of Katana and Arnold, as well as working with other engineers within the Development Group. You can also contribute to other disciplines within the software group, according to your interests.
- Leverage strengths of lighting package and renderer in developing new shading technology
- Maintain and expand existing codebase based on production needs
- Collaborate on best practices and work to remediate workflow inefficiencies
The ideal candidate has a keen artistic eye, a deep knowledge of ray tracing, shot lighting experience and has written shaders. You will join the Development Group and work within the Shading team and alongside the Katana and Arnold teams. In addition to gaining experience with advanced rendering techniques, you’ll be uniquely positioned to work alongside artists and engineers to deliver the next generation of tools to advance future productions.
Previous shader writing experience in a ray tracing environment
Experienced with UNIX/Linux
Katana production lighting experience
Katana scripting and API knowledge
Experienced with python, C, C++
Highly detailed and organized in work practices
Penchant for optimization and improvement
Great team player in a highly fluid environment
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent
3-5 years as a TD, pipeline engineer, or software developer
Sony Pictures Imageworks is the Academy Award®-winning visual effects and animation unit of Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group known for live-action visual effects, dynamic creature and character animation and all-CG animation. The company, headquartered in Vancouver, B.C., recently completed work on Columbia Pictures’ PIXELS, Clint Eastwood’s feature film AMERICAN SNIPER, Columbia Pictures’ FURY, Marvel Studios’ GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, the Warner Bros. feature EDGE OF TOMORROW and THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 for Columbia Pictures . Sony Pictures Imageworks is currently in production on the ANGRY BIRDS movie for Rovio, Disney’s ALICE IN WONDERLAND: THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS, the Warner Bros. live-action feature SUICIDE SQUAD and STORKS for Warner Bros. Animation. The company is also working on the animated features HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 2 and the UNTITLED SMURFS MOVIE (working title) for Sony Pictures Animation. Other notable work includes, Disney’s OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL, THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN , MEN IN BLACK 3 , Sony Pictures Animation’s CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 and HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA as well as Disney’s ALICE IN WONDERLAND.
To Apply:Please submit a resume and reel link to email@example.com for consideration.
- Growth Opportunities for advancement
- PRODUCTION SERVICES TECHNICIAN
- Assistant Technical Director
- Experienced Animator
- Pipeline TD
- Experienced Pipeline TD
- Texture Artist
- Experienced Texture Artist
- FX Artist
- Experienced FX Artist
- Experienced Lighter
- Experienced Modeler
- Character FX TD
- Experienced Character FX TD
- Experienced Compositor
- Matte Painter
- Experienced Matte Painter
- Layout Artist
- Experienced Layout Artist
- Experienced Rigger
- Software Engineer (for Web development)
- Software Engineer (for Desktop Apps)
- Senior Systems Engineer (UNIX)
- Intermediate Systems Engineer (UNIX)
- RENDER EFFICIENCY ENGINEER - ARNOLD TEAM
- RENDERING ENGINEER - ARNOLD
- SENIOR VFX COORDINATOR
- Production Tracking Developer
- SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- SHADER WRITER
- Production Finance Coordinator
Qualified candidates should send their materials to:
Sony Pictures Imageworks
Attention: Human Resources
9050 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
Fax: (310) 840-8888
All artist submissions MUST contain the following:
- Cover Letter which states the position you are applying for and your availability
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio (if applicable to the position)
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio Breakdown which describes your specific contributions to the work
**Please be sure NOT to send original materials, as submissions will not be returned.**
Submission Tips & Guidelines
- Reels should be on DVD or VHS (NTSC) - Beta or PAL will not be accepted
- Do not send CD ROMS or refer us to a website - hardcopy submissions only
- Reels should be clearly labeled with your name and contact information
- The length of your reel should be limited to 5 minutes and consist of the work you're most proud of beginning with your most recent work
- Music should not contain vocals unless lip-syncing skills are illustrated
- Please include a credit list explaining what you did on your reel and what software (if applicable) was used to achieve the effects
- Demo reels should be well edited and concise (less than 5 minutes).
- ANIMATORS NOTE: Please include all traditional work (life drawings, pencil tests, etc.) either on your reel or with your portfolio
Please be sure your portfolio is clearly labeled with your name, address and telephone number on both the inside and outside.
All portfolios should contain the following:
- Samples of your recent work
- Life Drawings
- Rough Sketches of animals and humans in movement
- Samples of your color and design sense
- We prefer artists to limit their portfolios to 20 pieces representing their strongest current work.
- Do not send original copies of your work as it will not be returned