Join the Team/Job Postings
Sony Pictures Imageworks is expanding! We are experiencing rapid growth in our Vancouver office. At Imageworks we create groundbreaking visual effects and animation for motion pictures. We are looking for a dynamic and energetic software engineer to join the team at Imageworks Canada.
Sony Pictures Imageworks is looking for a color scientist to join our Vancouver, Canada development team. Reporting to the Imaging Supervisor within the development group, this role helps to support shows in color management.
Specifically, the color scientist will design, develop and enhance the color process for production projects, and is responsible for developing systems to ensure high technical quality and the integrity of colors rendered throughout the production pipeline. They will analyze and implement advanced technologies in support of color and image processing systems and develop color image processing technologies to meet studio needs. The position requires the ability to think globally and understand the effect of proposed technology changes across the entire production pipeline from onset to post. Expert communication skills are essential, including creative thinking, facilitation, networking, presentation, and teamwork, as well as strong organizational skills. The candidate should exhibit strong technical skills and a desire to build a better facility, while weighing those needs against implementation costs.
- Ability to create color transforms utilizing a broad knowledge of color science fundamentals
- Experience evaluating image fidelity, including factors such as color, contrast, resolution, noise, grain, etc.
- Programming expertise specific to image processing, color processing, and color transform generation
- Strong image processing problem solving skills
- Strong written, oral, and presentation skills
- Ability to interface with outside vendors (DI companies, film labs, clients, etc)
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging
- High resolution imaging
- Commercial color management solutions
- Knowledge of digital and film motion-picture cameras
- Onset color management
- Digital Intermediate and color correction
- Color perception models / color appearance model
- Device characterization and metrology
- Display technologies, including characterization and calibration methods
- Film and film processing
- 5+ years of programming experience in a computer graphics / color science related role (Python /C++ preferred)
- Proven track record of color algorithm design and development for commercial products
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field of study
- Experience with color workflow design in a production vfx environment
Who we are: The Dev Group acts as authors, collaborators and gatekeepers of the Imageworks pipeline and software. We work with productions to develop tools and technology that make our images great. Our engineering expertise spans the entire artist workflow, as well as the tools Imageworks uses to manage its assets and track it’s productions. We have a variety of technical challenges and are looking for individuals from varying backgrounds and expertise to provide diverse voices for creative engineering solutions.
If you are interested in things like:
- Managing huge environments made up of thousands of assets
- Developing new tools / workflows within Katana to address artists’ show-specific needs.
- Reducing the time to first pixel as well as finding efficiencies through more streamlined toolsets.
- Ongoing contributions to open source projects like OpenColorIO, OpenImageIO, OSL, Alembic, and more.
About Imageworks Sony Pictures Imageworks is the Academy Award®-winning visual effects and animation unit of Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group known for live-action visual effects, dynamic creature and character animation and all-CG animation. The company, headquartered in Vancouver, B.C., recently completed work on Columbia Pictures’ PIXELS, Clint Eastwood’s feature film AMERICAN SNIPER, Columbia Pictures’ FURY, Marvel Studios’ GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, the Warner Bros. feature EDGE OF TOMORROW and THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 for Columbia Pictures. Sony Pictures Imageworks is currently in production on the ANGRY BIRDS movie for Rovio, Disney’s ALICE IN WONDERLAND: THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS, the Warner Bros. live-action feature SUICIDE SQUAD and STORKS for Warner Bros. Animation. The company is also working on the animated features HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 2 and the UNTITLED SMURFS MOVIE (working title) for Sony Pictures Animation. Other notable work includes, Disney’s OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL, THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, MEN IN BLACK 3, Sony Pictures Animation’s CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 and HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA as well as Disney’s ALICE IN WONDERLAND.
To Apply:Please submit a resume and reel link to email@example.com for consideration.
- Growth Opportunities for advancement
- PRODUCTION SERVICES TECHNICIAN
- Assistant Technical Director
- Experienced Animator
- Pipeline TD
- Experienced Pipeline TD
- Texture Artist
- Experienced Texture Artist
- FX Artist
- Experienced FX Artist
- Experienced Lighter
- Experienced Modeler
- Character FX TD
- Experienced Character FX TD
- Experienced Compositor
- Matte Painter
- Experienced Matte Painter
- Layout Artist
- Experienced Layout Artist
- Experienced Rigger
- Software Engineer (for Web development)
- Software Engineer (for Desktop Apps)
- Senior Systems Engineer (UNIX)
- Intermediate Systems Engineer (UNIX)
- DATA INFASTRUCTURE SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- RENDER EFFICIENCY ENGINEER - ARNOLD TEAM
- RENDERING ENGINEER - ARNOLD
- SENIOR VFX COORDINATOR
- CHARACTER ANIMATION PIPELINE ENGINEER
- Production Tracking Developer
- SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- SHADER WRITER
- Color Scientist
Qualified candidates should send their materials to:
Sony Pictures Imageworks
Attention: Human Resources
9050 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
Fax: (310) 840-8888
All artist submissions MUST contain the following:
- Cover Letter which states the position you are applying for and your availability
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio (if applicable to the position)
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio Breakdown which describes your specific contributions to the work
**Please be sure NOT to send original materials, as submissions will not be returned.**
Submission Tips & Guidelines
- Reels should be on DVD or VHS (NTSC) - Beta or PAL will not be accepted
- Do not send CD ROMS or refer us to a website - hardcopy submissions only
- Reels should be clearly labeled with your name and contact information
- The length of your reel should be limited to 5 minutes and consist of the work you're most proud of beginning with your most recent work
- Music should not contain vocals unless lip-syncing skills are illustrated
- Please include a credit list explaining what you did on your reel and what software (if applicable) was used to achieve the effects
- Demo reels should be well edited and concise (less than 5 minutes).
- ANIMATORS NOTE: Please include all traditional work (life drawings, pencil tests, etc.) either on your reel or with your portfolio
Please be sure your portfolio is clearly labeled with your name, address and telephone number on both the inside and outside.
All portfolios should contain the following:
- Samples of your recent work
- Life Drawings
- Rough Sketches of animals and humans in movement
- Samples of your color and design sense
- We prefer artists to limit their portfolios to 20 pieces representing their strongest current work.
- Do not send original copies of your work as it will not be returned