Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Entertainment Inc., which is a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation, and includes the following groups:
- Columbia TriStar Motion Picture Group
Columbia TriStar Motion Picture Group (CTMPG) encompasses Columbia Pictures, TriStar Pictures, Sony Pictures Classics and Screen Gems in addition to releasing groups, Sony Pictures Releasing and Sony Pictures Releasing International. Internationally, motion picture operations include Columbia Pictures Film Production Asia (Hong Kong), Columbia Films Producciones Espanolas (Madrid), Columbia Pictures Producciones Mexico (Mexico City) and additional operations in the United Kingdom, Brazil and Japan. The company's total motion picture library, with more than 3,500 titles includes 12 Best Picture Academy Award® winners.
- Sony Pictures Digital Productions
Sony Pictures Digital Productions is the digital production arm of Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE). There are six main businesses within Sony Pictures Digital Productions: Sony Pictures Animation, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Sony Pictures Post Production Services, Worldwide Product Fulfillment, Studio Operations and Asset Management.
- Sony Pictures Animation is responsible for the creative development and shepherding of animated projects, and includes filmmakers, story and visual development artists.
- Sony Pictures Imageworks is the Academy Award-winning, state-of-the-art digital effects studio specializing in visual effects and dynamic creature and character animation.
- Sony Pictures Post Production Services was built for filmmakers by Post Production professionals and is one of the largest, full service post production facilities in Hollywood.
- Worldwide Product Fulfillment (WPF) is responsible for overseeing the fulfillment of Sony Pictures theatrical and television content to distributors, broadcasters and retailers around the world.
- Studio Operations manages Sony Pictures Studios’ 18 sound stages, more than 200,000 square feet of production and term deal offices along with production support departments including Lighting and Grip, Property and Set Dressing, Wardrobe and Transportation.
- Asset Management creates, manages, and protects SPE’s intellectual property assets (film, video, audio and digital resources) through asset protection and preservation services, global inventory management and distribution, restoration and archiving.
- Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment distributes Sony Pictures produced and third-party acquired theatrical and non-theatrical product on Blu-ray disc, DVD, UMD and other digital media globally. Among the more than 3,500 titles in SPHE’s catalog are the Spider-Man and Men In Black franchises, The Smurfs, 21 Jump Street, the Seinfeld TV series and film classics on Blu-ray such as Lawrence of Arabia, Taxi Driver and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
- Sony Pictures Studios
Sony Pictures Studios is one of the world’s most storied locations for motion picture production. Today, the studio continues to be a premier facility for film and television productions of all types, offering an impressive array of sound stages, state-of-the-art post-production facilities and world-class support services amid an inspiring, historical setting. The studio also hosts a variety of private screenings and live events. For information, visit the Sony Pictures Studios site.
- Sony Pictures Television
SPE's television operations trace their history to the founding of Screen Gems in 1948, the first television business created by a major Hollywood studio. Currently, television operations produce or distribute approximately 60 programs worldwide, spanning all formats and genres. As home to an extensive library of TV programs and motion pictures, the company also grants licensing rights to customers which include U.S. and international broadcast and cable networks, U.S. local television stations and digital services. Sony Pictures Television (SPT) has formed or invested in international networks with 124 channel feeds in 159 countries reaching approximately 736 million households worldwide. SPT also produces local language programming and has licensed SPT-owned formats in approximately 75 countries globally. Additionally, SPT operates Crackle.com, a premium video website, featuring high quality original content, TV shows and feature films from the studio's library.