FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Madison Gate Records Releases "Love Is Strange" Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
August 19, 2014 - Madison Gate Records announces the release of the soundtrack to the forthcoming and critically-acclaimed feature film LOVE IS STRANGE. The original motion picture soundtrack features the works of composer Frédéric Chopin through a delicate collection of piano pieces used to underscore the film. The soundtrack also includes a modern orchestral arrangement of Chopin's Berceuse, Op. 57, several classical works by Beethoven, Schnittke and Wieniawski, and contemporary tracks by Nina Simone and Daniel Indart that are featured prominently in the film.
"The history of film score comes directly from the history of classical music itself, and in Chopin you can hear all the tones and all the emotions that one hopes to find in music for cinema," said the film's director, Ira Sachs. "We wanted to use Chopin not unlike how Simon & Garfunkel are used in The Graduate, to create a whole world for the movie while at the same time maintaining the integrity, and beauty, of the original compositions themselves."
LOVE IS STRANGE (ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK) releases today for digital download and will be available on CD soon. The track listing is as follows:
- 1. Frédéric Chopin | Berceuse in D-Flat Major, Op. 57 | Performed by Idil Biret
- 2. Frédéric Chopin | Prelude No. 15 in D-Flat, Op. 28 | Performed by Dovie Currin
- 3. Ludwig van Beethoven | Piano Sonata No. 28 in A Major, Op. 101 | Performed by Idil Biret
- 4. Frédéric Chopin| Waltz No. 7 in C-Sharp Minor, Op. 64, No. 2 | Performed by Idil Biret
- 5. Frédéric Chopin | Ballade No. 3 in A-Flat Major, Op. 47 | Performed by Idil Biret
- 6. Alfred Schnittke | Suite Im Alten Stil, No. 3 Minuet | Performed by Ralf Gothóni & Mark Lubotsky
- 7. Frédéric Chopin | Nocturne No. 8 in D-Flat Major, Op. 27 | Performed by Idil Biret
- 8. Coco y Ron | Performed by Daniel Indart
- 9. Henryk Wieniawski | Legende, Op. 17 | Performed by Marat Bisengaliev & John Lenehan
- 10. That's Him Over There | Performed by Nina Simone
- 11. Frédéric Chopin |Nocturne No. 5 in F-Sharp Major, Op. 15 | Performed by Idil Biret
- 12. Frédéric Chopin| Berceuse in D-Flat Major, Op. 57 (Arranged for Piano and Orchestra) | Performed by The Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra
Run Time: 60 Minutes
Soundtrack Executive Producer: Susan Jacobs
About LOVE IS STRANGE:
After nearly four decades together, Ben (John Lithgow) and George (Alfred Molina) finally tie the knot in an idyllic wedding ceremony in lower Manhattan. But when George loses his job soon after, the couple must sell their apartment and - victims of the relentless New York City real estate market - temporarily live apart until they can find an affordable new home. While George moves in with two cops (Cheyenne Jackson and Manny Perez) who live down stairs, Ben lands in Brooklyn with his nephew (Darren Burrows), his wife (Marisa Tomei), and their temperamental teenage son (Charlie Tahan), with whom Ben shares a bedroom. While struggling with the pain of separation, Ben and George are further challenged by the intergenerational tensions and capricious family dynamics of their new living arrangements.
Directed by Ira Sachs (KEEP THE LIGHTS ON, FORTY SHADES OF BLUE), LOVE IS STRANGE blends the romance of New York City's streets and skyline with a delicate Chopin piano score to poignantly capture both the lightness and sorrows of this modern day love story. LOVE IS STRANGE was written by Sachs and Mauricio Zacharias, produced by Sachs, Lucas Joaquin, Lars Knudsen and Jay Van Hoy of Parts & Labor, and Jayne Baron Sherman, and is distributed by Sony Pictures Classics in North America.
About Madison Gate Records:
Madison Gate Records is the in-house, independent record label of Sony Pictures Entertainment. The label was founded in 2010 to create, distribute and market music and related products from today's top films and television programs. For more information go to: www.Facebook.com/MadisonGateRecords