FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Andrew Gumpert Promoted To President, Worldwide Business Affairs And Operations, Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group
Business Affairs Chief to Oversee Dedicated Team Appointed to Each Division
CULVER CITY, Calif., November 10, 2015 - Sony Pictures Entertainment has promoted Andrew Gumpert to president, Worldwide Business Affairs and Operations for the Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group, it was announced today by Tom Rothman, chairman of the Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group, to whom Gumpert will report.
Gumpert previously served in a similar capacity for Columbia Pictures. By adding the studio's other divisions to his portfolio, the move brings all of Sony Pictures' dealmaking responsibilities under Gumpert, who will work closely with Motion Picture Group President Doug Belgrad to set and implement the studio's day-to-day business operations and business affairs strategies.
In addition to his deal-making responsibilities, Gumpert will remain directly involved with the studio's most high-level strategic planning, including overseeing (along with the studio's CFO, Stefan Litt) the studio's relationships with its outside financing partners, such as Lonestar Capital and Village Roadshow. Gumpert will also oversee the business affairs and strategic operations for Columbia Live Stage, the studio's theatrical group, which is creatively overseen by Lia Vollack. That group is currently developing several projects, including the musical "Groundhog Day," based on the 1993 Columbia Pictures motion picture, with Tim Minchin/Matthew Warchus ("Matilda"), Scott Rudin ("The Book of Mormon") and Danny Rubin, the writer of the original feature film, who is writing the book for the show.
As part of the promotion, the senior business affairs executive for each motion picture group production division will now report to Gumpert, with each division having a dedicated Business Affairs team:
Commenting on the announcement, Rothman said, "Gump is an incredible executive and has compiled a terrific team. He is smart and dedicated and creative and honest. He has Doug's and my full confidence, as does the outstanding team he supervises. We congratulate all of our fine colleagues on their promotions."
About Sony Pictures Entertainment
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Entertainment Inc., a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies. For additional information, go to http://www.sonypictures.com.
Office of Jean Guerin
SVP, Media Relations
Sony Pictures Entertainment - Motion Picture Group
- • At Columbia, Michael Marshall has been promoted to head of business affairs and will serve as executive vice president, Business Affairs and Administration, working closely with senior vice presidents Lumumba Mosquera and Mark Wyman;
- • At TriStar, Brian Burkin has been promoted to Executive Vice President, head of business affairs;
- • At Sony Pictures Animation, Jeffrey Korchek, who most recently served at Mattel as VP Licensing Acquisitions, Business Affairs and Content, has been hired as executive vice president business affairs and strategy. Korchek will supervise Kym Wulfe, who is being promoted to senior vice-president, business affairs. Ronni Coulter, who has overseen Business Affairs for the animation studio for more than nine years, will be retiring from the studio.
- • At Screen Gems, vice president of Business Affairs Carol Smithson will head business affairs and continue to work closely with EVP and General Manager Pam Kunath;
- • Laine Kline has joined the studio as executive vice president, business affairs for international productions. Kline joins the studio from 20th Century Fox, where he was head of business affairs at Fox International Productions.