FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sony Pictures, Madame Tussauds New York And The Void Team For "Ghostbusters"-Themed Immersive, Virtual Reality Experience
Madame Tussauds New York's Ghostbusters Experience featuring Ghostbusters: Dimension VR to launch July 1st in Times Square attraction
CULVER CITY, Calif., May 9, 2016 - In advance of the July 15, 2016 release of Ghostbusters, one of the most highly anticipated films of the summer, Sony Pictures, Madame Tussauds New York, Ghost Corps and THE VOID have teamed up to bring Ghostbusters to life like never before. Included in the multi-sensory, all-immersive environment will be Ghostbusters: Dimension, a first-of-its-kind, virtual reality (VR) experience based on the studio's new Ghostbusters movie.
Scheduled to open to the public on July 1, 2016, the VR experience will launch exclusively as part of the Ghostbusters Experience at Madame Tussauds New York in their legendary Times Square attraction. The construction of this multi-layered and sensory environment is already underway and is designed to fully immerse visitors into the fantastical and spirited world of the new film.
Visitors to Madame Tussauds New York will also be invited to engage with Ghostbusters like never before. The cinematic experience is brought to life with state-of-the-art technology, authentic props, costumes, a vehicle, gadgets and exclusive content designed to spook guests as they move through multiple scenes inspired by the film. After exploring the iconic Ghostbusters Headquarters, guests experience the epic finale, in which visitors take part in a ghost hunt of their own, saving New York City from a paranormal villain. This supernatural encounter will also include figures of the Ghostbusters crew from the new movie, all of whom are prepared to help visitors wage battle against nefarious paranormal activity.
In Ghostbusters: Dimension, developed by THE VOID in collaboration with Ivan Reitman, Paul Feig and Sony Pictures, audiences will experience what it is like to be a Ghostbuster, tracking and trapping a supernatural foe through a New York apartment complex in an environment that combines physical props and sets, real-time interactive effects, and virtual reality technology designed by THE VOID.
"Ghostbusters has an incredible, passionate fan following, and now VR technology allows the fans to become a Ghostbuster themselves within Madame Tussauds New York. The technology is breathtaking, the experience is thrilling, and what better way is there to use VR, than to let audiences inhabit the stories they love," said Ghostbusters creator Ivan Reitman.
"Who wouldn't want to answer the call, suit up as a Ghostbuster, and blast their way through a ghost-infested New York apartment with a proton pack?" said Jake Zim, senior VP of digital marketing at Sony Pictures. "We expect this experience will draw fans of all ages to Madame Tussauds and generate a lot of buzz around the release of our new Ghostbusters film this summer."
"Our new collaboration with Sony Pictures and THE VOID has paved the way to delivering an unforgettable experience for our visitors," said Eric Fluet, Head of Marketing and Sales for Madame Tussauds New York. "We believe the Ghostbusters Experience and Ghostbusters: Dimension will propel Madame Tussauds New York into a new era of immersive entertainment."
"Ghostbusters is an amazing property that has kept fans enthralled for decades, so as we roll out immersive VR experiences around the world, we're thrilled to have Sony Pictures on board as our first studio collaboration, working with us to develop a truly memorable experience that will have fans talking for years to come," said Ken Bretschneider, Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder at THE VOID.
"We are thrilled to work with Madame Tussauds and THE VOID to bring our iconic franchise to life in the heart of New York City. Fans of Ghostbusters will have the opportunity to take a walk through an immersive environment with iconic scenes from the film, and bust ghosts using cutting edge virtual reality technology," said Mark Caplan, Senior Vice President, Sony Pictures Consumer Products.
Ghostbusters makes its long-awaited return, rebooted with a cast of hilarious new characters. Thirty years after the beloved original franchise took the world by storm, director Paul Feig brings his fresh take to the supernatural comedy, joined by some of the funniest actors working today - Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, and Chris Hemsworth. This summer, they're here to save the world! The film is produced by Ivan Reitman and Amy Pascal, and written by Katie Dippold & Paul Feig, based on the 1984 film "Ghostbusters," written by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis and directed by Ivan Reitman. The film will be released in theaters nationwide on July 15, 2016.
ABOUT SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Entertainment Inc., a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies. For additional information, go to http://www.sonypictures.com.
ABOUT MADAME TUSSAUDS NEW YORK AND MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS
Madame Tussauds New York, prominently located in the heart of Times Square, is more than just a wax museum; it is an iconic "must do" New York experience and soon to be the home of the Ghostbusters Experience. There are no velvet ropes or obtrusive barriers to keep guests from interacting with over 200 of the world's most recognizable and influential icons. The fully immersive, one-of-a-kind attraction is great for families and visitors of any age. With particular dedication to regional visitors, local admissions offers are available. Visit www.madametussauds.com/newyork or call (866) 841-3505 for more information.
Visit www.ghostbusters.madametussauds.com for more information about Ghostbusters Experience. To join in the conversation and follow the latest updates, be sure to use #GBXP across all social media platforms.
MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS plc is the leading name in location-based, family entertainment. Europe's Number 1 and the world's second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates 112 attractions, 12 hotels/4 holiday villages in 23 countries and across 4 continents. The company aims to deliver memorable and rewarding experiences to its almost 63 million visitors worldwide, through its iconic global and local brands, and the commitment and passion of its managers and 26,000 employees.
ABOUT THE VOID
THE VOID is leading the world in a new form of immersive entertainment. A combination of a physical set, real-time interactive effects, and virtual reality are utilized to create Hyper-Reality experiences, which allow participants to not only watch a movie or play a game, but to live in them. For more information, visit:www.thevoid.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT GHOST CORPS
Ghost Corps, Inc., a subsidiary of Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc., is focused on expanding the Ghostbusters brand with live-action feature films, animated motion pictures, television, merchandise, and other new entertainment products. Ghost Corps is headquartered on the Sony Pictures Studios lot in Culver City, Calif.
SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT
Jason Allen - 310.244.3502 / email@example.com
Scheduled to open July 1, the Ghostbusters Experience was developed as part of a new partnership between Madame Tussauds, THE VOID and Sony Pictures, ensuring total authenticity.
Touching three floors of the attraction, the Ghostbusters Experience is a multi-layered and sensory environment immersing visitors into a fantastical and spirited world inspired by the 2016 film. This one-of-a-kind experience, available exclusively at Madame Tussauds New York in Times Square, features authentic props, costumes, a vehicle, gadgets and exclusive content from the film set in four unique rooms.
In addition to the Ghostbusters Experience, guests can upgrade their ticket to include an all-new Hyper-Reality experience, Ghostbusters: Dimension, by THE VOID. Featuring proprietary hardware and software, Ghostbusters: Dimension is a Hyper-Reality experience, which allows participants to be a Ghostbuster. After donning real helmets and proton packs, participants will move from room to room of a New York apartment complex, capturing ghosts, and saving the city from impending doom.
About the Experience
• The experience includes four unique rooms, true to the 2016 film.
- o Visitors to the Ghostbusters Experience will enter the experience via a subway entrance that descends to a platform and onto subway tracks. While walking the tracks the guest will experience their first apparition on a moving train, hurtling toward them. The environment is set with smoke, ambient noise of the subway and 3D elements such as subway tiling, ticket turnstiles and figures of a station guard and police officer.
- o Stepping off the tracks, visitors enter the basement of a haunted mansion. Proceeding from the basement through the house, the fun continues with moving eyes in portraits, scuttling rats, the sound of ghosts and morphing of portraits. The scene is set with an array of 4D effects: creaking floorboards, feet ticklers, moving props in the bookshelf, green crackle light and dry ice creating an eerie effect.
- o Having survived the paranormal, the guest now arrives at Ghostbusters Headquarters. This is the guests' first encounter with the figures. One welcomes them to the space while another is seen working on a proton pack at one of the booths. Visitors to Headquarters will have the opportunity to learn and experiment with spirit hunting props from the film. Screens throughout the room provide insider tips and tricks. The scene is set with ambient New York street noise, and ringing phones.
- o Well-equipped and savvy, guests move into the epic finale where they experience their first paranormal hunt. The guest sees additional figures of the spirit-hunter crew featured mid-pose, shooting their proton packs at paranormal villains. Guests can top of the epic finale by capturing their own ghost and taking a ride on Ecto-2. Effects show spiraling apparitions who are eventually trapped by guests, ambient Times Square noise, smoke, ghosts' footsteps, the sounds and lights of proton packs shooting and more.
- • Ghostbusters: Dimension is created by THE VOID.
- • This will be the first experience of its kind in the world, and will premiere at Madame Tussauds New York.
- • THE VOID will bring Ghostbusters to life through their Hyper-Reality experience - a combination of a physical set, real-time interactive effects, and virtual reality - allowing participants to move and feel alternate dimensions of imagination in a completely immersive and realistic way.
- • Ghostbusters: Dimension lasts 7-8 minutes.
- • It takes place in a New York City apartment complex, where guests move through multiple ghost infested rooms.
- • Each guest will suit up in THE VOID's RAPTURE gear, consisting of a virtual reality head set, a proton gun, and a vest that carries a compact computer and provides sensory feedback. The physical and digital worlds are melded together using this proprietary hardware.
- • The Ghostbusters Experience includes figures of the new Ghostbusters.
- • The figures' wardrobes feature each in authentic replicas of jumpsuits and proton packs, recreated from the film with Sony Pictures' involvement.
- • Each figure was created over the course of four months by a team of nearly 20 skilled artists.