FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sony Pictures International Productions And Pokeepsie Films, In Association With Amazon Prime Video, Launch “The Fear Collection”
A multi-picture deal with Álex de la Iglesia to produce a horror film anthology
MADRID, on May 26th, 2020 - Sony Pictures International Productions and Pokeepsie Films – Álex de la Iglesia & Carolina Bang’s film production company – in association with Amazon Prime Video, have closed a deal to launch ‘THE FEAR COLLECTION’. The Fear Collection brand will encompass an anthology of horror and suspense films guided by the creative influence of Álex de la Iglesia, who will produce and/or direct each project. The films will be initially theatrically released by Sony Pictures Entertainment Iberia and then available on Amazon Prime in Spain.
For Álex de la Iglesia, “It’s an ambitious project that I’ve been hauling around for years. The concept is to make a collection of films that unveil a universe of horror beyond time. The characters face supernatural forces that threaten humanity. The idea is to generate a label of films with a specific character, Cosmic Horror. Our aim is to produce two films a year with directors and screenwriters that are lovers of the genre. If there’s something known very well in this country, it’s being afraid, it’s planted in our brains ever since, on a school excursion, we gazed for the first time on the dark paintings of Goya. Sony and Amazon are providing me with the opportunity to give the green light to a nightmare that, I hope, will keep us awake at night.”
In the words of Laine Kline, Head of Sony Pictures International Productions, “Álex is a true maestro of horror. The Fear Collection is the perfect platform for Álex and Sony Pictures International Productions to explore the boundaries of genre filmmaking in Spanish cinema.”
Iván Losada, Managing Director of Sony Pictures Spain, states that “Álex is one of the most brilliant and prolific directors in this country, and we celebrate with great enthusiasm the fact that we are able to include his talent in the development of this collection of horror films”.
“Álex de la Iglesia is one of Spain’s great cinematic benchmarks. To be able to collaborate with him, hand in hand with Sony Pictures Entertainment and Pokeepsie Films, is a privilege for us, for it enables us to offer our customers a collection of films with a seal of indisputable quality”, states Ricardo Carbonero, Head of Content at Amazon Prime Video in Spain. “Cinema is one of the great pillars of our service, and this project will help us to carry on developing a catalogue of Spanish content that is exclusive, differentiating and innovative”.
Several projects are currently in development for “The Fear Collection,” with established writers and directors such as the de la Iglesia/Guerricaechevarría duo, Jaume Balagueró, Paula Ortiz, Fernando Navarro and Carlos Theron.
With Pokeepsie Films, Álex de la Iglesia (scriptwriter, director and producer) and Carolina Bang (actress and producer) have delivered projects by new talents such as "Musarañas" (Esteban Roel and Juan Fernando Andrés), "Los Héroes del Mal", “En las Estrellas” (Zoe Berriatúa) and “Pieles” (Eduardo Casanova). They have also launched projects like “El Bar”, “Perfectos Desconocidos”, and the television series for HBO “Treinta Monedas” (all by Álex de la Iglesia). They are also preparing the shooting of “La Casa de Tiza” (Ignacio Tatay) and “La Piedad” (Eduardo Casanova).
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE’s global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition, and distribution; television production, acquisition, and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies. Sony Pictures Television operates dozens of wholly-owned or joint-venture production companies around the world. SPE’s Motion Picture Group production organizations include Columbia Pictures, Screen Gems, TriStar Pictures, 3000 Pictures, Sony Pictures Animation, Stage 6 Films, AFFIRM Films, and Sony Pictures Classics. For additional information, visit http://www.sonypictures.com/corp/divisions.html
About Prime Video
Prime Video is a premium subscription streaming service that offers customers a vast collection of TV shows and movies—all with the ease of finding what they love to watch in one place.
- Included with Prime: Watch thousands of popular movies and TV shows, including critically-acclaimed Amazon Originals such as Good Omens, The Grand Tour, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Homecoming; Academy Award-winning Manchester by the Sea and The Salesman and Academy Award-nominated Cold War and Beautiful Boy; plus exclusive TV shows like American Gods, Vikings and Outlander; as well as live sport including ATP Tennis and Premier League football, and self-published content. All part of Prime Video, which is now available in over 200 countries and territories worldwide.
- Watch More with Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add 70+ channels like Discovery, ITV Hub+, Eurosport Player, hayu, STARZPLAY and more — no extra apps to download; no long term contract required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. To view the full list of channels available, visit amazon.co.uk/channels.
- Rent or Buy: Enjoy hundreds of thousands of titles, including new-release movies and entire seasons of TV shows available for all Amazon customers to rent or buy.
- Instant Access: Watch where and when you want with the Prime Video app on TVs, mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Fire tablets, games consoles, on the Talk Talk TV set top box, BT TV and Apple TV or online. For a list of all compatible devices visit amazon.co.uk/watchanywhere.
- Enhanced Experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR) compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favorite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Watch anywhere with mobile and tablet downloads for offline viewing.
In addition to access to movies and TV shows included with Prime, the Prime membership includes unlimited fast free delivery options across all categories available on Amazon, more than two million songs and thousands of playlists and stations with Prime Music, secure photo storage with Prime Photos, unlimited access to a rotating selection of thousands of books and magazines with Prime Reading, unlimited access to a digital audiobook catalogue with Audible Channels for Prime, a rotating selection of free digital games and in-game loot with Twitch Prime, early access to select Lightning Deals, and more. To sign-up for Prime or to find out more visit: amazon.co.uk/prime.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.